Creating and managing a project in ChemiReg
A recent update to ChemiReg means that you can now create and manage projects yourself. Creating projects is quick and easy, taking no more than a couple of minutes to set up. Here’s a quick introduction to help get you started.
Creating a Project
On logging in, click the ‘Add Project’ button at the top of the screen to begin creating your new project.
A new window will open providing options to create and customise your new project. Choose your project name and a few custom fields to get going in seconds, or customise your project further to improve your data’s value:
There are a number of ways you can customise the data in your project:
- Copy and paste the custom fields from another project you own. This is helpful if you want to quickly create a project similar to one you already maintain.
- Choose your projects name. No special characters are allowed (e.g. - % ^ etc).
- Choose your project type.
- Select ‘Chemical’ if your data has structural information (contains 2D molecular structures or SMILES).
- Select ‘Inventory’ if your data contains no structural information.
- Add a custom field. Custom fields are the data you wish to be catalogued for each entry and can be anything you want (location, names, etc). There are a number of options available here:
- a) The name of your field (text characters only).
- b) Make this field compulsory – it must be filled in to allow data to be saved.
- c) Choose a field type appropriate to the data you’re submitting.
- d) Describe what this field is for.
- e) Make this field only visible to editors (users with the ‘viewer’ permission on this project will not see this specific custom field data).
- Delete or reorder a field by clicking and dragging. Fields at the top of the list will appear first in the table.
- Add more fields
- Disregard / Save project*
*Note that you can’t remove or modify a field heading name after you’ve clicked save, but you can add additional ones and reorder them.
Once you’ve added all your desired fields, simply click save and your project is ready to use.
Adding users / changing user permissions on a project
So you have your new project and now you want to let other people use it. This is achieved by assigning a user a role. There are three types of user permissions, Owner, Editor and Viewer. Your assigned role setting on a project will determine what you can and can’t do:
To add new users to your project or edit current user roles, go ahead and click the ‘Edit User Roles’ button.
This opens a new popup window allowing you edit user permissions. Here you can add or remove users from the role you wish to grant or remove.
Note: Users are only visible after they log in for the first time.
Once you’re done, click save and the new permission settings will be assigned. Users added to the project will need to refresh their page for the changes to take effect.
An alternative way to quickly add multiple users is to ‘Copy rules from another project’.
This allows you to rapidly assign multiple users based on another project’s permission settings.
Now you and your collaborators can get started.
We’ve been working hard to make the best possible user experience for academics everywhere. If you have any comments or would like to see something improved then let us know by contacting email@example.com.Back to top